1 When is the first day of pratice? (FAQ)
The first practice is typically during the first week of August.
2.How many practices per week? (FAQ)
In August practice will be held 4 or 5 times per week - Once school starts practice is 3 days a week for all teams.
3.How long are the practices? (FAQ)
Practices are 2 hrs. long and are usually held from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm.
4. Where are the practices held? (FAQ)
5.Do I have to stay for practice? (FAQ)
You must have your child at practice 5 minutes before your scheduled practice time and you MUST arrive 10 minutes before the end of practice. By arriving 10 minutes before the end of practice, coaches will have ample time to discuss with you any concerns regarding your child. Think Safety! - Be there on-time or contact your coach when needed to advise them of a delay. Especially the younger children in our program. We're sure any coach would take a few extra minutes to stay with your child in the event of a delay in arrival.Do not leave siblings at the field unattended. Coaches are responsible for the supervision of players only. You are welcome to stay at practice if you would like to.
Game schedules are determined by the CTYFL. Players are required to arrive at the game site one hour before the game time to warm up and weigh in. The schedule should be availible the middle of July. The first game will be the weekend after Labor Day.
Regular season game times are as follows, or as schedule dictates:
B Team 9:00 AM
A Team 11:00 AM
C Team 1:00 PM
Mighty Mites 3:00 PM
Games are made up of four 16 minute quarters at the C and MM level and four 18 minute quarters at the A and B level. With a running clock, except for the last 2 minutes of the half and game. Most games last nearly 2 hours. In addition, players are expected to be at the field at least 1 hour before the game to warm up and weigh in. So plan on spending a minimum of 3 hours at a game. If the game ends in a tie, there may be a "Kansas Plan" tie breaker to determine the winner. You will also have to calculate travel time to and from the game.
All teams will be scheduled for 8 regular season games. 8 Teams will make the playoffs at the A, B and C levels. Mighty mites do not participate in the playoffs. The playoffs is a single elimation tournament. If a team makes it to the championship game the season will last 11 weeks.
4. Is there Equal Playing time? (FAQ)
The CTYFL is a very physical and competitive league. CTYFL has a minimum 6 play rule. This means the each player must play at least 6 plays each game. Additional playing time can be earned in practice. Depending on the position, skill - and the especially the willingness to work hard, may earn a player more playing time. But, ultimately playing time is at the head coaches discretion.
A. All games shall be played in accordance with the National Federation rules as they pertain to highschool football. Each team must have a minimum of 14 eligible players at the start of the game. Any team not able to field the 14 eligible players automatically forfeits the game.
B. Each team has three timeouts per half with no carry-overs. At MM leve there will be a maximum of one (1) minute in- between plays to call in the offensive huddle. This rule must be enforced.
C. Game Clock:
1. For all games, halftime shall be 10 minutes, maximum
2. For all games, the only clock stoppage shall be time-outs, injury time-outs and the last two minutes for each half shall be standard "stop clock".
3. A&B teamsshall have 18 minute running quarters
4. C & MM teams shall have 16 minute running quarters
5. After halftime of C and MM games, there shall be no "meeting of the captains" at mid-field. Teams shall simply line up for the kick-off.
D. Scoring will be as follows:
Conversion - Run or pass______1 Point
Conversion - Kick____________2 Points
Field Goal__________________3 Points
E. Mighty Mite game procedure:
1. Two (2) coaches from each team will be allowed on the field at any given time, and one defense, must be behind the safety at the beginning of the play.
2. Kickoffs are from the fifty (50) yard line.
3. A team must declare when it will punt. This will be a free kick with no rush or return allowed. No player will be allowed down field. Once punted, the bll is considered dead and the ball will be placed at the spot the ball comes to a rest or at a minimum of 10 yeards from the line of the scrimmage, which ever is further from the original line of scrimmage. A coach may also just request the 25 yard mark off without punting, but the spot cannot be placed within the opponent's 20 yard line.
4. There will be four (2) warnings per half for minor violations and the referees will explain all violations to the players.
5. All major violations will be enforced during the entire game. Major violations are as follows:
- Face masking
- Blocks to the back
- Pass interference
- Unsportsmanlike conduct
6. All other violations will be considered minor violations and the down will be replayed.
7. All other game and CTYFL procedures will apply.
8. A no huddle or hurry up offense willonly be allowed in the last four (4) minutes of each half.
9. PAT kicks will be a free kick from the seven (7) yard line.
10. Offensive plays must be run in sixty (60) seconds or "delay of game" will be called.
11. Teams will switch end zones at halftime only.
F. C Squad Game Procedures:
1. No coach will be allowed on the field.
2. Kickoffs will be from the fourty (40) yard line.
3. All violations will be enforced during the entire game as per NFHS rules.
4. A team must declare when it will punt. This will be a free kick with no rush allowed. No player will be allowed down field until the ball is kicked. A coach may also just request the twenty-five (25) yard mark off without punting, but the spot cannot be placed within the opponent's twenty (20) yard line.
5. All other games and CTYFL procedures will apply.
6. Teams will switch end zones at halftime only.
6. Who will we be playing against?(FAQ)
CTYFL determines the schedules. These are active youth football programs that we may be playing:
East Hartford Hornets
New Hartford Wolvervines
North Branford Thunderbirds
Rokcy Hill Terriers
South Windsor Panthers